Friday, October 06, 2006

Napoleon Dynamite and The Beatitudes

After three long weeks, I get to spend another weekend with Jes. I am very excited to share a few more days with her. I'll give an update in a few days about our weekend together.

I am in the middle of a couple of projects for school right now. I am editing my first radio series, and am designing a few logos. It's very exciting to learn new skills...because girls only want boyfriends who have great skills...you know numchuck skills, bow-hunting skills, computer hacking skills...I guess audio editing and graphic design are almost as dorky.

Wow...Napoleon. Good times.

For those of you who didn't know, last fall, my friend Carolyn and I learned the dance from the movie and won $250 at SWU's infamous "skit night"...it was a blast. I definitely don't think I could remember much of it now....probably a good thing!

It's hard to believe that was almost a year ago. My life sure has changed in the past year. I really never would've imagined that I would be where I am now, dating such an amazing girl, leading worship at my church, going to VCU...God is so good. He gives us what we need before we ever know it is our deepest desire.

Jes and I started reading in Matthew earlier this week and today was the Beatitudes. These words are so powerful, just think on them for a few minutes.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for thiers is the kingdom of heaven."


I love how God's heart and passion for people is so evident in these words. He seeks after those who are down and out. He desires to feed those who hunger. His embrace comforts all who suffer and His grace gives us hope. Hope for a future no matter what our circumstances are today. Hope for acceptance and forgiveness no matter how ugly our sin. Hope for life that is full of joy and fellowship with others. Hope for something meaningful.

Be filled with hope today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. There's nothing about, say, posting the Ten Commandments in a courthouse, or keeping out illegal immigrants, in the Beatitudes, unless it's letting in illegal immigrants.

Candice of 'The Beautiful Mess' said...

brett....you must update....