Thursday, April 14, 2005

"CoffeeHouse Gospel"

I've been reading a book recently called The CoffeeHouse Gospel. The book is about evangelism presented in a very relevant way. It encourages believers to share their faith in everyday conversation. To be honest, evangelism is something that I have failed in time and again. I am amazed at how uneducated the American church is concerning evangelism. We trick ourselves, or rather satan tricks us, into thinking that it is some incredibly intimidating and daunting task that we have to do...but really it is so simple...all we have to do is tell our story. Even this can seem intimidating at times, but I think that is because we have become so accustomed to our plush comfort zones that it seems too hard to get up and act. We have become so incredilbly selfish...when did Christianity become about "me"?

Below is an excerpt from The CoffeHouse Gospel by Matthew Paul Turner:

"The quest to be selfless is often a lonely pursuit in today's modern, sophisticated, and very selfish culture. Chock full of success-driven individuals only interested in looking out for number one, today's culture is filled with people consumed with careers, image, mondy, and self-fulfillment. Instead of focusing on the needs of others, we hone in on our own needs for financial comfort, sex, and acceptance, just to name a few. Instead of looking to the needs of others, we invest in ourselves. If we want to be followers of Jesus who talk effortlessly about our faith, we must dispose of our selfishness. And that's not easy to do.

Many of us have let ourselves become programmed by the culture's message of self-investing. We have let ourselves become people who are only motivated by self-advancement and self-glory. We have a mindset of, "How can I help 'me' today?" We're all guilty of this at one time or another. I certainly struggle with naturally thinking of others. Our society works that way, and it's hard not to get sucked into the madness of me, me, me!

You can't watch one episode of MTV's Cribs without being bombarded with the materialism for which wealthy Americans strive. So many of my friends watch Cribs in complete lust for the lush commodities that wealth and celebrity bring in today's society. The same is true watching Donald Trump's The Apprentice. Although wildly entertaining, this show depicts sixteen intelligent, hard working individuals who seemingly will employ whatever means necessary to be percieved as successful, business savvy, and powerful. We will long remember the actions of Omarosa who lied and manipulated her way throughout the experience. God's ways don't relate or line up with those of Cribs and The Apprentice. God's ways are pure and selfless and do not succumb to the faltering of "me" invesing.

As Christians, God's call on our lives flies in the face of what the world deems cool, successful, and pleasurable. Answering God's call on your life begins with a desire for selfless investing and constant renewal of your mind. Our selfishness does not keep us from witnessing and sharing our faith; it just eats away at our ability to do it with integrity and grace. How many times have you been subject to the witnessing tactics of an individual who seems to be in ministry to the fame? It's important that our hearts for ministry be motivated by only what is pure and honest."

Any comments?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to read that book. I really have been getting into more evangelism books that are kind of "out-of-the-box". Last semester I finished "Radically Unchurched" which was excellent. After I finish a 400-page apologetics book that I'm half way through right now, I'm going to start "Future Church" which is more along those lines as well. Maybe I'll be able to pick up CoffeeHouse Gospel someday soon.

Candice of 'The Beautiful Mess' said...

Great post!!!