Saturday, April 09, 2005

"Life Cycles"

Yes...I am aware that it has been over a month since I've posted anything, and even longer since I've posted anything worth reading, and for that I sincerely appologize. It's not like very many people even read this, but for those of you who have been faithful to check every once in a while (hopefully there are still a few of you left!), and for myself, I decided it was about time to start writing again. I could name numerous excuses for why I haven't written (ie: 25 page papers, lead role in the musical, RA responsibilities), but these would just be petty attempts to justify my lack of motivation over the past month.

I am constantly amazed at the cyclical nature of our lives. Almost everything comes in waves...exercise routines, dieting, devotions, blogging, relationships, etc. For example: about every 2 weeks or so, I make up my mind that I am going to get serious about eating healthy and running whenever I have a chance...this mindset lasts about 3-5 days and then it's back to the same ole' routine of eating popcorn and easymac after midnight! Have you ever had the "Christian book" urge? My brother and I both get this every once in a while, as do many Christians I suppose. If you've ever had it, you know exactly what I'm talking about. You go to the Christian book store, or even Barnes and Noble, and you find the perfect book that specifically adresses your "issue". You sit down and read the first few pages in the bookstore and are so inspired that you are compelled to spend the 10-20 bucks this newfound inspiration will cost you. After you return home with your new book and maybe a CD you thought might serve as a good soundtrack to this new and improved version of you, you sit down and visciously tear through the first few chapters. 2 years later you find the book under your bed or on a bookshelf collecting dust, with the same page still folded over from that life-changing, monumentally inspirational night!

So I guess all that was to say that I've kind of been in an "off" cycle in many different areas of my life over the past month. I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing. I think it is in these "off" times when a lot of real growth and change takes place that we don't even realize until much later.

Below are some Norah Jones lyrics which somewhat accurately express my feelings over the past month. Obvious spiritual parallels can be drawn, but there are several other areas in my life that I am wanting to be "turned on"...maybe I'll write more on that later!


Like a flower waiting to bloom
Like a lightbulb In a dark room
I'm just sittin' here Waiting for you
To come on home And turn me on
Like the desert Waiting for the rain
Like a school kid Waiting for the spring
I'm just sittin' here Waiting for you
To come on home And turn me on
My poor heart It's been so dark
Since you've been gone
After all you're the one who turns me off
But you're the only one who can turn me back on
My hi-fi is waiting for a new tune
My glass is waiting for some fresh ice-cubes
I'm just sittin' here Waiting for you To come on home
And turn me on

1 comment:

Candice of 'The Beautiful Mess' said...

I think Jesus is the one I'm waiting to come back and "turn me back on..." especially now.