Monday, October 25, 2004

"Carpe Diem"

I had the pleasure of spending some time this afternoon talking with a friend about the future. This girl, who is incredibly hot and extremely talented...too bad she's taken...is a senior here at SWU and so I decided to ask her the question that you ask every senior, "what are you planning to do after graduation?" This spurred a rather lengthy conversation about our future plans (or lack thereof), our dreams, aspirations, and desires. Neither one of us knew exactly what we want to do, thankfully I have a little more time than she does to figure it out! So I decided that I would use my blog today to discuss my thoughts/feelings about the uncertainty of my future. Currently, my major is English Education, but ironically I don't know if I even want to be a teacher! Originally I wanted to go into Journalism or become a writer of some sort. Not that you would be able to tell from this blog, but I really do believe that the Lord has blessed me with writing ability. One of my dreams is to, one day, write for Relevant Magazine or something like that. Last semester I added the education aspect to my major as another option. I've always thought about teaching, but I really don't know if It's what I'm called to do. I really enjoy my education classes, and I could definitely see me in the classroom, but I just don't know. I am going to take the Praxis I test tomorrow, which is a teacher certification test, and I don't even know if that's what I want to do. I know that it's okay because I've got plenty of time, but sometimes I just feel like everything is useless, pointless, and a waste. My friend and I were talking, and I shared with here that I really felt like I had a call on my life for worship ministry, but that I just feel so inadequate. I was very encouraged because I was reminded that I am right where I am supposed to be. Broken. Only when we realize that we are completely inadequate to do that which God has called us to, can He truly work in and through us. As we were sharing she said something that has really impacted me. She said, "You have to take it day by day...sometimes we get so focused on the future that we miss God's will for our lives each day. He only asks for us to take up our cross daily and follow him. Maybe instead of seeking God's plan for our life, we should seek His plan for our day". It made me wonder at how much I've missed out on because I'm so focused on tomorrow instead of today. May I ever be concious of what the Lord has for me, may I live my life, moment by moment, in complete surrender. CARPE DIEM!

Here's a quote for the day:
"I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck all the marrow out of life...to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
-Henry David Thoreau


No comments: