Tuesday, October 19, 2004

"Who Am I?"

Sometimes we all need a little reminder of who we really are. This is something I wrote a while back…just a little glimpse of my heart!

As one season in my life comes to an end, and another rapidly approaches, the question of who I am, or rather, who I want to become, has stirred up a great desire for purpose and direction in my life. As I sit here this afternoon, I am overwhelmed with uncertainty concerning my future, and what lies ahead on this incredible journey we call life.

A few summers ago, I went through the tedious process of having my senior pictures taken. The amount of time, energy, and money that goes into the production of a piece of shiny paper containing a person’s image baffles me. Pictures have never held great value in my life, but one of my senior pictures truly captures the essence of who I am. The picture is not very extravagant, and it is not even focused on me. With my back towards the camera, I am standing off in the distance with my hands raised up towards the sky. This picture displays all of my priorities, passions, and desires for my life, present and future.
My posture in the picture represents two things, humility and worship. Over the past several months, the Lord has taught me the importance of humility, and the truth in the scripture, “Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up.” The Lord has shown me that for me to be successful in any ministry it is necessary for me to be broken and humble myself before the Lord.

Worship is my passion. I desire to use the talents, gifts, and passion for worship that the Lord has birthed in me to challenge and lead the body of Christ into places of true worship. I desire to be used to bring a message of grace, love, mercy and forgiveness, only found in Jesus Christ to my generation. I desire to live a holy life before God, and to be a part of the generation that raises the standard to one of holiness. I desire to be challenged and pushed into a deeper, more intimate level in my relationship with Christ.

There is one more significance in the picture that I want to share with you. In the picture, I am standing on a curving path. I cannot see around the corner, nor do I know what is ahead of me, and yet I do not hesitate to continue walking. In my life, I am standing at a bend in the road. My future is uncertain, but I walk by faith, and not by sight. I am choosing to obey the Lord, and follow his voice wherever it leads me, no matter the cost or sacrifice. Who am I? I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, passionately following Him, wherever He leads.

No comments: